The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bantam Two seater
Seems that Donald Duck's car '313' was as well?

Attached Files
.jpg   313.jpg (Size: 213.85 KB / Downloads: 139)
(13-07-2018, 01:13 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(13-07-2018, 10:43 AM)Edgar Lowe Wrote:
(13-07-2018, 10:23 AM)JonE Wrote: so David, what would you expect a final landed and tax paid price to be if that was bought at say 4000 dollars and brought to UK?

Do these all come in for 'vehicles of historic interest' treatment so VAT and import duty lower, or is that before a certain date only? I did look it up once but it was all quite confusing...

Not coming from the EU will attract car tax and VAT which they include the cost of transport. most importantly you need to make sure that the car have a logbook equivalent otherwise you will have problem registering the car with DVLA.

Vehicles  over 30 years old will come in as being of "historical interest" with VAT @ 5% and no excise duty. The vehicle should be unmodified, this is part of a HMRC BTI (Binding Tariff Information)  procedure, which the UK shipping agent would normally arrange as part of the import documentation.

VAT is paid on the landed cost, so if you add £800 max for freight (from NY) the $4000 becomes £4000, so £200 VAT. Then there are UK port & "de-vanning" costs say £375. Freight is only about 10% more from LA.
If you have a cost to get the car to the US port, make sure it is invoiced separately from the car, or it will be part of the Landed Cost! US freight is not cheap &the USA is BIG, so it could exceed the sea freight! You then have to pick the car up from the port (or get it delivered...about £120 from Southampton to the midlands) I have used CFRinkens. Not the cheapest, but I found them good. The dodgy bit (no surprise) is the handling at UK port which can be variable!
So depending on overland shipping to the US port, it could be at the docks ready to pick up for not much over £5000
(13-07-2018, 09:51 PM)David.H Wrote:
(13-07-2018, 10:23 AM)JonE Wrote: so David, what would you expect a final landed and tax paid price to be if that was bought at say 4000 dollars and brought to UK?

Do these all come in for 'vehicles of historic interest' treatment so VAT and import duty lower, or is that before a certain date only? I did look it up once but it was all quite confusing...

Not coming from the EU will attract car tax and VAT which they include the cost of transport. most importantly you need to make sure that the car have a logbook equivalent otherwise you will have problem registering the car with DVLA.

Vehicles  over 30 years old will come in as being of "historical interest" with VAT @ 5% and no excise duty. The vehicle should be unmodified, this is part of a HMRC BTI (Binding Tariff Information)  procedure, which the UK shipping agent would normally arrange as part of the import documentation.

VAT is paid on the landed cost, so if you add £800 max for freight (from NY) the $4000 becomes £4000, so £200 VAT. Then there are UK port & "de-vanning" costs say £375. Freight is only about 10% more from LA.
If you have a cost to get the car to the US port, make sure it is invoiced separately from the car, or it will be part of the Landed Cost! US freight is not cheap &the USA is BIG, so it could exceed the sea freight! You then have to pick the car up from the port (or get it delivered...about £120 from Southampton to the midlands) I have used CFRinkens. Not the cheapest, but I found them good. The dodgy bit (no surprise) is the handling at UK port which can be variable!
So depending on overland shipping to the US port, it could be at the docks ready to pick up for not much over £5000

The 2 seater appears to be located in New Mexico. Galveston in Texas would probably be the nearest port. We have shipped from there as well as other ports using Fromm America as the US end shipper; not the cheapest either, but the cars/bikes/trucks have always been properly secured in the shipping container and have arrived undamaged. Kingstown shipping have been good at the UK end.
(13-07-2018, 10:20 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(13-07-2018, 09:51 PM)David.H Wrote:

The 2 seater appears to be located in New Mexico. Galveston in Texas would probably be the nearest port. We have shipped from there as well as other ports using Fromm America as  the US end shipper; not the cheapest either, but the cars/bikes/trucks have always been properly secured in the shipping container and have arrived undamaged.  Kingstown shipping have been good at the UK end.
One more thing.! If you can get someone to physically see the car & it's title to confirm that the "seller" actually can sell it and that the car exists!! It is virtually impossible to get a car out of the US without a title. I have plucked people at random off the MG Experience site (they have a map showing approximately where members live!) and have found people most helpful & willing to assist a fellow enthusiast.