The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now VL 4193
Opal blue with a black top fits the year. And black wings. You could probably uncover much of that original paint if you went carefully with a fine grade paper. Its been protected since the black went on and might be in better condition than you think. You have a real opportunity to conserve rather than restore that car - too many original interior and exterior finishes (with appropriate wear) are quickly bulldozed away to create relatively boring, textbook cars imho.
Check out the brown '30-ish tourer in the Rinsey Mills book - a rare survivor and I think that jealously preserves its browning front window.
I whole heartedly agree with Jon's sentiments, you have a real gem there which has not been got at by a well meaning "restorer" consider any repairs carefully..... and get rid of that modern coil, it looks completely out of place, I am sure someone like Tony Betts can supply a sound working original.
Black Art Enthusiast
    Thanks guys, Your comments are valued and taken on board. After having a gentle clean of the mucky bits, hubs, etc. I would like to start by replacing the front and rear window rubbers. Can anyone suggest a supplier please? Is the inner surround on the rad cowl supposed to be chrome? Other pics that I have seen don't seem to have this. This one is not chrome!!
The cowl should be black painted in the rebate, I think the windscreen frame is also the correct painted steel item, these are often rusted so replaced with a later plated brass frame. I would recommend doing a lot of research prior to making any changes, originality can never be replaced, but with care it can be replicated.
The rubbers will probably be available from any one of our main cherished suppliers.
Black Art Enthusiast
This car came with 4 new Avon tyres and a previously used spare. All tyre sizes are 4.00 x 19 The new 4 road tyres are also marked m/c after the size. My limited research shows the original spec as Open models 3.50 x 19 and closed models a W M 3 - 19 rim. This newbie is confused. Is the car outside of specs at shows etc if tyre sizes are wrong? Is it OK to run what may appear to be motorcycle tyres?
Help!!!
It is really what I expected for that sort of 'quick sale' on behalf of someone else. I think it looks great and I would certainly not rush into doing anything pedantic apart from getting it running and that may entail checking vital areas like the whole fuel system and the fuel itself, lots of talk on the Forum about old fuel and a few months to a year old stuff has never been a problem in my experience but the fuel in your tank could be quite an eclectic mix ! A fuel filter would seem mandatory, good glass free-flowing variety not cheap paper/plastic one. Distributor, points etc would be next target but overall, patience is the main thing and undertake a full check/service of all the running gear including gearbox/differential oil and brakes before contemplating a long run. Any show would welcome such a car in this sort of condition with open arms. Whereabouts are you on the south coast, I and no doubt several others could form a rescue party if you get desperate! Anyway, it would be interesting to meet you and your new acquisition. Welcome to 'Seven(th) Heaven'!
(06-07-2018, 09:01 AM)James Anderson Wrote: It is really what I expected for that sort of 'quick sale' on behalf of someone else. I think it looks great and I would certainly not rush into doing anything pedantic apart from getting it running and that may entail checking vital areas like the whole fuel system and the fuel itself, lots of talk on the Forum about old fuel and a few months to a year old stuff has never been a problem in my experience but the fuel in your tank could be quite an eclectic mix ! A fuel filter would seem mandatory, good glass free-flowing variety not cheap paper/plastic one. Distributor, points etc would be next target but overall, patience is the main thing and undertake a full check/service of all the running gear including gearbox/differential oil and brakes before contemplating a long run. Any show would welcome such a car in this sort of condition with open arms. Whereabouts are you on the south coast, I and no doubt several others could form a rescue party if you get desperate! Anyway, it would be interesting to meet you and your new acquisition. Welcome to 'Seven(th) Heaven'!

Hi James, Thanks for your input.  I am at Seaford. Welcome anytime. There is not a filter under the filler cap. Where would you install a petrol filter? The garage that I got it from were asked to get it going.
Hi Biddlecombe, as this A7 seems to have stayed around Lincoln all its life it may be worth a phone call to Lincolnshire Archives on 01522 526204 ,they hold some of the early vehicle records for Lincoln vehicles. There may be a charge for this information. Best of luck.
(06-07-2018, 10:47 AM)Bill Dixon Wrote: Hi Biddlecombe, as this A7 seems to have stayed around Lincoln all its life it may be worth a phone call to Lincolnshire Archives on 01522 526204 ,they hold some of the early vehicle records for Lincoln vehicles. There may be a charge for this information. Best of luck.

Thanks Bill, The daughter of the long time owner is sending a raft of papers and records to the dealer. He will send all to me. I'll have a chance then to see what's what. Thanks for the phone numbers. I have just found 1963 & 1964 tax discs in the pocket!! £5.10s per annum!!!

(06-07-2018, 10:41 AM)Biddlecombe Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 09:01 AM)James Anderson Wrote: It is really what I expected for that sort of 'quick sale' on behalf of someone else. I think it looks great and I would certainly not rush into doing anything pedantic apart from getting it running and that may entail checking vital areas like the whole fuel system and the fuel itself, lots of talk on the Forum about old fuel and a few months to a year old stuff has never been a problem in my experience but the fuel in your tank could be quite an eclectic mix ! A fuel filter would seem mandatory, good glass free-flowing variety not cheap paper/plastic one. Distributor, points etc would be next target but overall, patience is the main thing and undertake a full check/service of all the running gear including gearbox/differential oil and brakes before contemplating a long run. Any show would welcome such a car in this sort of condition with open arms. Whereabouts are you on the south coast, I and no doubt several others could form a rescue party if you get desperate! Anyway, it would be interesting to meet you and your new acquisition. Welcome to 'Seven(th) Heaven'!

Hi James, Thanks for your input.  I am at Seaford. Welcome anytime. There is not a filter under the filler cap. Where would you install a petrol filter? The garage that I got it from were asked to get it going.
Would you clean and gentle polish what is a very mucky surface. If so what would you use?
T Cut will restore the black a bit i.e. temporarily.. and then you can try fine AAAA grade wire wool or stronger if you want to try and get to see what the blue is like underneath. I note the black paint has been put over the rubbers and everything - I tend to do that sort of thing with a small electrical screwdriver, just picking and releasing against the flexible under surface.

But don't get too set on the black - could be wasted effort titivating its surface - the Opal Blue has to be your goal!

p.s. I note that there is a paper filter in line from the gravity feed tank to what is now a sidedraft carb. Some have said that these impede flow.. so you might be prudent to, when the tank is clean, see if connecting without filter improves running. But you haven't got much head of fuel (the original was a carb several inches further down) so you may also want to ensure a more fullish tank before contemplating running tests.