The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now VL 4193
Hi does anyone have any knowledge of the history of “Emily” 1936 Ruby EPG 614. I have viewed her as she is for sale, but I am a newbie to the Seven world. I know that she has been refurbished and does not bear her original engine number. I understand that she was owned by a Seaford gentleman until December 2017, but would be interested to know of the condition she was in before sale. Further, I intend to visit the Senlac club this month and join up, but is there anyone that could help me with decision making? Maybe even visit the car with me near Lewes, lunch included of course? Hope I am not asking too much.
You have Gary Edwards in your area who also has a Ruby and is a member of the Senlac club , if you find a post from him on here you can send him a message.
(07-06-2018, 05:31 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: You have Gary Edwards in your area who also has a Ruby and is a member of the Senlac club , if you find a post from him on here you can send him a message.

Thank you. Nigel.
(07-06-2018, 02:11 PM)Biddlecombe Wrote: Hi does anyone have any knowledge of the history of “Emily” 1936 Ruby EPG 614. I have viewed her as she is for sale, but I am a newbie to the Seven world. I know that she has been refurbished and does not bear her original engine number. I understand that she was owned by a Seaford gentleman until December 2017, but would be interested to know of the condition she was in before sale. Further, I intend to visit the Senlac club this month and join up, but is there anyone that could help me with decision making? Maybe even visit the car with me near Lewes, lunch included of course? Hope I am not asking too much.

I would say this is definitely one that needs someone with you who knows their Rubies. So many cars with nice shiny paint jobs have not had the same attention paid to the mechanicals, but that is not to say this car is not ok in that respect. The views of the interior fittings and trimmings, whilst not badly done, is not totally 'sympathetic', and probably restored by a competent person, but someone not over familiar with Austin Sevens. Quite a lot of the fittings are not original, but not a disaster.

Caveat emptor, and good luck if you decide to go with it. Bear in mind that there are always Austin Sevens in all variations up for sale, so no need to rush into the first one you look at!
EPG 614 is listed on the Austin 7 Clubs Association Chassis Register, but is shown as an old entry last recorded in the year 2000. This suggests the owner or owners of the car since 2000 hasn't / haven't been members of an A7CA affiliated club. 

The chassis register shows the cars chassis number to be 256094 - this would be a build date of October 1936 with engine number M177573 a build date of June / July 1933. Many Austin Sevens, in fact most mass produced UK cars that are now over 80 years old have probably had a number of engine changes during their lives - engines wore out quicker in those days due to lack of air / oil filters and lack of maintenance when they became cheap old bangers in the early post war years, so not something to worry about.  

The registration EPG 614 would have been issued by Surrey C.C. starting EPG 1 in October 1936 and ending with EPG 999 in November 1936.

As you're new to Austin 7's, I'd strongly advise taking an experienced Austin 7 Ruby owner such as Gary Edwards with you when viewing the car. I'd totally agree with bystander, plenty of Austin 7's including Ruby's always available for sale, so don't necessarily rush to buy the first one you see.

This is one of Gary Edwards recent posts on 31-05-2018, 02:05 PM

(07-06-2018, 08:17 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: EPG 614 is listed on the Austin 7 Clubs Association Chassis Register, but is shown as an old entry last recorded in the year 2000. This suggests the owner or owners of the car since 2000 hasn't / haven't been members of an A7CA affiliated club. 

The chassis register shows the cars chassis number to be 256094 - this would be a build date of October 1936 with engine number M177573 a build date of June / July 1933. Many Austin Sevens, in fact most mass produced UK cars that are now over 80 years old have probably had a number of engine changes during their lives - engines wore out quicker in those days due to lack of air / oil filters and lack of maintenance when they became cheap old bangers in the early post war years, so not something to worry about.  

The registration EPG 614 would have been issued by Surrey C.C. starting EPG 1 in October 1936 and ending with EPG 999 in November 1936.

As you're new to Austin 7's, I'd strongly advise taking an experienced Austin 7 Ruby owner such as Gary Edwards with you when viewing the car. I'd totally agree with bystander, plenty of Austin 7's including Ruby's always available for sale, so don't necessarily rush to buy the first one you see.

This is one of Gary Edwards recent posts on 31-05-2018, 02:05 PM

Thank you, both I have sent PM to Gary. Your comments confirm my suspicions. Seems like a premium price for not quite a premium car.
have PM'd Peter! Funnily enough I saw the car on eBay earlier today, MoT history shows it has hardly been used since 2006, concur not that original... It is local so not too much trouble to go & view!
Biddlecombe - this will go quickly... if it's solid. But it looks mighty original...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1932-AUSTIN-S...SwgvFbOduT

Passing Grimsby anytime soon?
(02-07-2018, 08:40 PM)JonE Wrote: Biddlecombe - this will go quickly... if it's solid. But it looks mighty original...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1932-AUSTIN-S...SwgvFbOduT

Passing Grimsby anytime soon?

Thanks JonE but I am a BIG bloke and can only just fit a Ruby. Dieting as we speak. Again!
Unless you are aware of anyway of pushing the seat back in any earlier models which I wouldn't want to do really.
In theory, the model that Jon has spotted should have a long wheelbase and that is as comfortable to drive as a Ruby. But I would check with the seller. Also, I thought that the fuel tank should be at the rear but can't see any evidence of this and on checking the A7 Companion this feature didn't happen until September 1932. Would be nice to see an under the bonnet photo and that would reveal the answer. Agree with Jon that if it has got the right paperwork on the face of it, it seems a good buy and certainly worth a look but as he also points out, it is priced to sell quickly.