The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Just how good should the brakes on my Ruby be?
This may be an impossible question to answer, but not having any previous experience in driving my Ruby I am not sure if the brakes are simply as good as they can get for an A7 or do I have a serious problem.
In trying to find some answers I looked back over some old papers and found an article called Braking Efficiency published in the Austin Magazine dated 1936, the year of my Ruby.
In this it states “.......the Seven should be able to stop in 36 feet or less from 30 mph without skidding or pulling........Failure to stop in this distance can be taken as an indication that the brakes will benefit from from attention....”
Now I know without any doubt that my Ruby will go merrily past 36 feet before she will be brought to a stop.
I also have found an youtube a road test carried out on a late Ruby in which the braking distance when travelling at 30mph was 28 meters, which the presenter states is greater than the Highway Code requires of 23 meters.
Now these figures seem a lot closer to the performance of my own car.
The whole of my braking system has been upgraded but if 36 ft is the norm I am falling desaprately short, hence my question.
I did take my Ruby to an MOT for him to give her th once over before taking her out on a regular basis, he decided he would not put her on the roller to check the brakes, he said it would fail....!
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Best regards Denis S

Messages In This Thread
Just how good should the brakes on my Ruby be? - by Denis Sweeney - 13-02-2019, 07:09 PM