The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas MT wiper motor on a Mk I Ruby
Finally got around to getting the alignment sorted out on the wiper motor, it has only been used once in earnest, as mostly I have planned using the car around dry weather and the odd time it has rained when I have been out, Rainex has been been ok to not need wiping, or I have just done a single manual wipe.

Anyway, the alignment is now correct, the wiper blade sweeps evenly across the screen (previously it was part wiping the screen before climbing up onto the bodywork), but now, this has thrown out the "park" for the blade.

Now, when the blade is parked the spindle hook end cannot engage in its rest position onto the operating knob, so the blade is not properly secured in its rest position. I could leave the spindle engaged with the motor drive, but this would mean that the wiper blade was left on the screen and this has issues for opening the screen.

I experimented with off-setting the shaft, but in wiping mode the hook end of the spindle makes contact with the operating knob, and still, the "park" position is off.

The only way "park" works is for the wiper arm/blade to be out-of-kilter with the spindle, so it will not wipe the screen correctly, and climbs onto the bodywork! Which was where I started at!

It seems there is a compatibility issue and I suspect that the original wiper arm must have had some sort of off-set to enable it to meet screen sweeping & parking conditions, my arm is completely straight and a non-original item.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Has anyone got an original wiper arm that they can post a photo so as to compare the differences.

I would like to get this right!

[attachment=5345]
Wiper blade engaged - start position for wiping

[attachment=5346]
As seen on the screen

[attachment=5348]
Wiper blade in park position

[attachment=5349]
Wiper blade in park position, but not engaged onto operating knob

[attachment=5347]
Wiper blade in park position when engaged onto operating knob!

So, if anyone could post a photo of an original wiper arm, or better still, know where I can get the correct type, it would be much appreciated, thank you in anticipation!

Messages In This Thread
Lucas MT wiper motor on a Mk I Ruby - by GK5268 - 10-02-2019, 04:03 PM