The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book 'The Immortal A7'
I guess this is bookshops with their bulk discounts willing to cut their margin below the recommended price, with a list price set at a level no one actually expects, or is expected, to pay. They are probably still making a fiver profit.

Happens all the time with Waterstons etc offering new books at below half list price and still making a tidy profit.

Shame as it discredits the overall process, especially with the 'special A7 discount' but, with my copy tucked up in the Xmas store, I am happy to have a copy.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(15-11-2017, 09:04 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: I guess this is bookshops with their bulk discounts willing to cut their margin below the recommended price, with a list price set at a level no one actually expects, or is expected, to pay. They are probably still making a fiver profit.

Happens all the time with Waterstons etc offering new books at below half list price and still making a tidy profit.

Shame as it discredits the overall process, especially with the 'special A7 discount' but, with my copy tucked up in the Xmas store,  I am happy to have a copy.

Andy

When I bought yesterday they quoted a 37.5% discount, which is pretty standard wholesale discount to the trade...pre Amazon of course!

Books off the press are dirt cheap, when I published a 96 page aviation book a decade ago at £14.95 retail, it cost me £1.17p off press from Italy...I had to buy 5500 though, now of course they are printed digitally, and most publishers print around 1000 as first print, then re print according to demand.

Arthur
I also have a friend who is a best selling children's author. Her books are printed in tens of thousands. She gets about £1book including her agent fees, plus less than £1 to produce in China, the rest is soaked up in marketing, distribution and sellers margins, to a hardback list price of £10 or so. There are therefore plenty of opportunities  to drop prices to the floor and still cover costs and a small profit, or sell at £10 and make an obscene profit margin.
Life was so much simpler in the 30s and not just with cars.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(15-11-2017, 09:40 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: I also have a friend who is a best selling children's author. Her books are printed in tens of thousands. She gets about £1book including her agent fees, plus less than £1 to produce in China, the rest is soaked up in marketing, distribution and sellers margins, to a hardback list price of £10 or so. There are therefore plenty of opportunities  to drop prices to the floor and still cover costs and a small profit, or sell at £10 and make an obscene profit margin.
Life was so much simpler in the 30s and not just with cars.
Andy

Not sure what is happening but last week I bought my copy on eBay from a UK bookshop at A$68 post free, yesterday another eBay seller had it at A$54 post free ! 

If it keeps dropping they will soon pay us to take one !!

Cheers, Tony
Received the book today.

Surprised and more than a little pleased to see a picture of my late father in law on the back cover racing his Ulster.

Charles
..and on page 200, Charles!
Thanks Mike. Hadn't spotted that (yet). Still reading Adrian Newey's very good biography at the moment
Amazon has the book for £25.77 inc postage sold by Book Depository.
That's ridiculous! Quite apart from the fact that Veloce's wholesale price is £25 which leaves no margin for postage and profit, why on earth is the book being so heavily discounted so soon after publication - surely this is just the time for people to be maximizing their profit?
Given that Amazon want their cut as well either The Book Depository run at a loss or the wholesale price isn't the final price.

- As an aside I always think of JFK and the "grassy knoll" when I see the name "The Book Depository"

Charles