The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three speed box - changing position of first gear...
Having now driven the Cup I have discovered that it has a first gear "left and down" gearbox - can anyone explain to me how to make it "right and down" please?

I don't do gearboxes, because I have never had to. Any help much appreciated.
The selectors need changing Rory, pretty simple if you have the parts I can post photos if need be but sure you can work it out.
Black Art Enthusiast
Photos would be good please Ian.

Thank you.
Ok will take some today for you
Black Art Enthusiast
Thank you.
You will have IA3100 in your box, shown at the bottom of the picture, you will need the more common IA3047 shown above

I do not have any ball change gearboxes apart at present but have photographed the two types of selector above their relative positions on a normal gate change box. You will also need to change around the selector rods so the forks indent in the correct place and and adjust shims to suit your particular box. The sliding interlock is the same on both types. 

.jpg   DSC06562.JPG (Size: 229.95 KB / Downloads: 522)

.jpg   DSC06563.JPG (Size: 211.72 KB / Downloads: 523)
Black Art Enthusiast
This is very helpful - thank you Ian.

I will let you know how I get on.
You also need to change the gearbox top. Many years ago Mike Wase had one of those fitted but with the more normal top. Having got the neighbours out to push start his newly rebuilt car; when it fired he nearly ran them over, as it was in reverse!!
And of course this box was only fitted with a ball change gear lever (unless someone has found a reversed gate change top)

R - this reversed change box is rather uncommon - do you really want to change it ?
As I mentioned Tony it is only the selectors that alter the box, all the gears remain the same, of course the lid needs to suit the selector set up. A good reversed gate ball change lid is the hardest bit to find, I have come across more reversed gate boxes than lids, and one assumes the lid is the bit missing from this box adding to the confusion. Once sorted Rory could always pass on the 3100 selectors to someone who needs to make up a box, or even simply swap the whole G box with someone, which may at the end of the day be the easiest solution.
Black Art Enthusiast