The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cross member stencilled/painted markings
There are various cars documented with stencilled markings for chassis number on the offside rear cross member of SWB cars.

Several cars from emerged recently with evidence of other markings  - painted 'EX' and stencilled SN on the nearside.

Can anyone come up with any others? (or memories of them) 

It obviously meant something in the factory office, but more evidence needed to confirm exactly what.
Well, with one example appearing from a similar facebook post (is this is a sign of things changing?) it appears that 'SN' may thus be SALOON, as all examples involved are such.

(And makes sense in the same way instructions are being found inside trim panels... to ensure things are matched appropriately once specified on paper)
Jon, I know we have been in touch but I will post my RN pics here in case anyone else can come up with a decipher.
Peter

Rear offside crossmember.

Underneath rear nearside spring/
I wouldn't say these marks are stencils - both are free hand - the N is back to front , made with three strokes.

On the Fabric Saloon the Holden nameplate is stamped AUSN  SLN - strangely with the second N back to front like a Z on its side ?
yes, seems they were getting a bit more slack by 1931 and 1932... i.e. freehand.

Tony, could we see a pic of your nameplate? I know its nothing linked, but the second N formation is remarkable if the stamp set was same for 'Ausn' and 'Sln'!
(15-01-2019, 09:47 PM)JonE Wrote: yes, seems they were getting a bit more slack by 1931 and 1932... i.e. freehand.

Tony, could we see a pic of your nameplate? I know its nothing linked, but the second N formation is remarkable if the stamp set  was same for 'Ausn' and 'Sln'!

Not a brilliant picture but you get the idea AUSN SL'N' . I have a picture of the plate from JOB No 8141 with the same 'miss- stamp AUSN SL'N' (both 'N' s like a Z on its side)     

could it have any other meaning (now that we also have seen Biddlecombe's car with S and similar N?) Are the stamp sets definitely different for the two words SLN and AUSN... otherwise why wouldnt the operative have just used the N he had just picked up oreviously... unless he had intended something different? Approximately what year are we now, Tony - 1929?

If he had stamped a Z it would be of different proportions, wouldn't it? Maybe just because of camera angle....
Perhaps they had lost the N and simply used a Z as it was to hand?
It's still back-to-front, even if it was a Z!
It's an 'i' in Russian!