The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thanks Bruce, a good excuse for another run out one evening.

Roger
Hi Roger
Well done. 
It will be interesting to see if the handling responds to refinement or whether it is just the typical impresson of a newcomer accustommed to "moderns" (or other than Sevens). I get severely told off for any reservations expressed about stock Seven handling. In quite a few conditions as would have applied more in their time, the handling has its virtues. Suitably delicate steering inputs eventually become second nature.
Bob, thanks for your reply.
The handling was not so good on the back roads that were badly rutted, I also took quite a while to understand cornering techniques which hi-lighted the lack of power steering which one is used to nowadays.
I have also been told that the rear wheels are not running particularly true when viewed by a following friend.
Once on the open road at cruising speed and a relaxed hold on the steering I have no complaints apart from those who sit right on my rear end and won’t overtake...

Roger
We went shopping - it is getting to be a tight squeeze and Tanya had to put some stuff back.  That did not go down too well!

Great Stuff R, but what was wrong with taking the trailer ? Big Grin
Tanya finds it uncomfortable to sit in.
Although I fired Mathideux up a few weeks ago, today I drove out of the workshop and round the yard!
It's so long since I drove an Austin I had forgotten how savage the church is and how heavy the steering!
With luck I'll have it all sorted in time for le Puy Notre-Dame in July...
It is often the case that Sevening turns a mundane journey into something amusing.

First I had to chase and catch a car towing a four wheel trailer with one wheel brake seized on.

I followed for half a mile with the horn blowing and a hand held up above the screen to indicate "stop"      - nothing.

Fortunately, the lights at the end of the village were red so I could jump out and intimate that he was not only blind but deaf and his trailer would be catching fire shortly.

Then, because I drive a Seven I was taking a back road when I was flagged down by a postman waving a package.

Backing up to him - "Oh, sorry, I mistook you for someone else. (!)

It may be that there is another Tourer nearby.

On the way back, using the main road this time, in the mile of stop - start traffic that entails, went on to three cylinders.

Which persisted for quite a lot of the trip home.

Attention required - which will be tomorrow's job.
Your initial mistake was to assume the driver in front looked in his mirror, even occasionally. Hope you sort the misfire.
Given the decent weather here, the Nippy has just completed a week of commuting in and out of Sheffield , plus some other bits and bobs running around - a total mileage of nearly 200 miles - all without incident or "excitement!"
It used just over a pint of oil through the in built "self-change system" - and averaged almost 40 MPG and never missed a beat as usual. We're off to Clumber Park tomorrow followed by me playing cricket in Worksop so will do another 30 miles or so and, no doubt, will be able to entertain some more people we meet on the way.
Not sure, yet, what the rest of the bank holiday weekend holds but open to offers.

Maybe we'll meet some friends on the way?...
Best wishes,
Nick