The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing camber of rear springs
(11-07-2018, 08:52 AM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 11:12 AM)Tom Coates Wrote:  I would like to lower the back of my GE Cup by a few inches as it sits a bit high at the moment and I think this will improve the appearance and handling. Doing this would reduce the available suspension travel but I’m not planning to do any trials so I think I can live with that.

The question is whether to have some early type springs made up with reduced camber (say 3”), or just to use Ruby springs which I think have a 2½” camber as standard.

I imagine Ruby springs would make the suspension quite stiff which might be good if there is limited travel. Does anyone have experience of using the later springs on a relatively light early car? Will they fit into the ends of the chassis rails without modification? Are there any other issues watch out for (like the axle oil pouring out of the front of the torque tube due to the change in angle?)...

I found using Nippy springs on my 1937 Opal gave the right clearance and excellent ride. If memory serves me right these have a 2.5 inch camber ( think standard Ruby is more) and fewer leaves than Ruby.

Charles

Thanks I'll look into that.
I fit (new) sports springs as a matter of course to all Opals that need replacements these days, the car sits quite correctly on them.
(11-07-2018, 11:34 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I fit (new) sports springs as a matter of course to all Opals that need replacements these days, the car sits quite correctly on them.

I imagine Opals were originally fitted with the flatter Ruby type springs and have enough clearance for suspension travel?

My concern is that fitting springs with 2-3" camber to a car which was designed for 6" camber will cause the suspension to bottom out.
A friend in Scotland has a Cup with lowered rear springs - it most definitely has damaged the body where bottoming has occurred but handles well.

I have standard Chummy springs on mine, but no road test yet!!

Ruby springs on an Opal look quite incorrect, this is why I tried Sports camber, which look much better on the road.

I have pictures somewhere to compare...
(11-07-2018, 02:51 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: A friend in Scotland has a Cup with lowered rear springs - it most definitely has damaged the body where bottoming has occurred but handles well.

I have standard Chummy springs on mine, but no road test yet!!

Ruby springs on an Opal look quite incorrect, this is why I tried Sports camber, which look much better on the road.

I have pictures somewhere to compare...

Mine has chummy springs at the moment and is ok, but it feels a bit wobbly compared to an ulster. I think it sits too high at the back which also upsets the castor settings.  Getting the back shock absorbers to work properly would also help.
If you feel the dampers are not working correctly, start work there.