The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Battery alternatives for total loss system. - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Battery alternatives for total loss system. (/showthread.php?tid=8614)

Pages: 1 2

Battery alternatives for total loss system. - RupertW - 22-05-2023

Hello all,

I have a 1924 Boulogne replica which doesn't have a starter motor fitted in the interests of lightness. It's almost impossible to get started on the handle so is usually bump started, but this is obviously impractical and I think I'm willing to sacrifice some weight for convenience.

I have a bacon slicer starter motor ready to fit, but the car is fitted with no charging system, and I'd like to avoid the weight/space/cost of a standard 6v battery.

Does anyone have experience of using a relatively small 12v battery, probably designed for a motorcycle as a total loss system? Will 12v damage the starter motor or the gears? It'd also be useful to know what battery specs I would need as a minimum.

As a slight aside, I'm missing the locating dowel for the starter motor - is this a specific item or size, or can I find something else that fits?

Any advice welcomed!

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - John Mason - 22-05-2023

Hello Rupert, If weight is your thing instead of a battery have you considered one of the new small jumper packs that you charge at home and is good for a number of starts. You could clip it direct to the starter and still have no need for a charging circuit.

John Mason.

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - RupertW - 22-05-2023

That's a great idea and I do have one already.

My only concern is that it can be quite fussy and sometimes doesn't like batteries that are too dead, but it's certainly worth a try!

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - AustinWood - 22-05-2023

the dynamo on our fabric saloon hasn't worked for a very long time. We use a battery conditioner connected when the car is in a garage.
A fully charged standard size 6V battery is good for at least 500 miles always using the starter. We have LED headlights too.
I suspect this in fact works better than the standard 3 brush dynamo which tends to overcharge the battery. That isn't good for it.

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - Hugh Barnes - 22-05-2023

Having just had a dynamo refurbished and having fitted LEDs to the Cabriolet, I asked the dynamo guy to set the charge rate to be about 3 amps, which I wouldn't have thought would overcharge the battery, would it? That's my supposition, anyway...

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - Tony Griffiths - 22-05-2023

You might want to research NLP5 batteries. 12 volt only I suspect and do read the one-star comments....where the 5-year warranty is worthless.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-NLP30-Powersport-Motorcycles-Snowmobiles/dp/B091P9P92V/ref=sr_1_7?crid=G1RGODBMEGA8&keywords=nlp5+battery&qid=1684780366&sprefix=nlp5+battery%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-7&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.242b60b5-863c-46f9-8bde-905544f907df
I think John Mason's idea of using an emergency-start battery is excellent. I was astonished when my son pulled out a really tiny battery pack - and it started his golf.

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - Nick Lettington - 22-05-2023

Or you could just buy a cheap 12v battery on offer from euro car parts and use it to jump start the car... or one of those motorbike paddock starters if you're a lottery winner.

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - David.H - 23-05-2023

I have a 6v gel battery that came with an RD I brought back from Seattle. It was loose behind the seats and did not fit the battery box!
It is good quality USA made and seems powerful and compact. Send me a pm if it may be of any use and I will send details. It may still be somewhere in the "for sale" section. I am near Stratford-on-Avon. Price very negotiable ?
David

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - RupertW - 23-05-2023

Thanks David, I'll see if I have any luck with my starter pack in the first instance and will certainly bear you in mind

RE: Battery alternatives for total loss system. - ppearson - 23-05-2023

Hi Rupert,

I own a Wragg single seater number 8.  It has a mag engine and no charging system. Froom day one it has been started with a bacon slicer 6 volt motor.  It has always been started using a Yuasa YB14L-B2 12 volt battery. This is my 29th consecutive season with the Bert Hadley Championship and to date I have not had a problem .  The battery lasts much more than a day of starting and running the SU fuel pump.

The batteries are available from Tayna Batteries and originally were maybe fitted to a 500cc Kawasaki.

Hope this helps.

Peter