The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Wheel nut size - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Wheel nut size (/showthread.php?tid=8580)

Pages: 1 2

Wheel nut size - k8207418 - 06-05-2023

I’m looking for a wheel brace on eBay but not sure of the size or it’s metric equivalent 
Any thoughts ?

RE: Wheel nut size - Chris KC - 06-05-2023

A7 wheel nuts are 3/8" BSF; my advice would be to steer clear of metric equivalents and hunt down the right tool for the job. There are usually a few A7 wheel braces knocking around at most autojumbles (though I must say I tend to use a socket and extension bar on mine).

RE: Wheel nut size - John Cornforth - 06-05-2023

Hi

To the best of my knowledge, the "Across Flats" spanner size for prewar A7 3/8 BSF wheel nuts is 19/32 inch or 0.59375 inches or 15.08125 mm

My 15mm twelve point metric socket is theoretically 0.003 inches too small, but it fits happily.

However, I normally use a "proper" A7 wheelbrace, and have a collection of BSF and BSW spanners and sockets culled cheaply from the local car boot sale.

RE: Wheel nut size - Hugh Barnes - 06-05-2023

The other aspect of using the correct wheel brace is it will tend to encourage the right torque to be applied to the nuts.

RE: Wheel nut size - John Mason - 07-05-2023

Hugh, I second that about using an A7 wheel brace. I inherited one when I bought my car but didn’t use it for a number of years as I thought it was too small and would not tighten the nuts sufficiently. I finally tried it and found it worked ok. I had been over tightening my wheel nuts for years no wonder the wheel nuts kept stripping threads.

John Mason.

RE: Wheel nut size - Ian Rendle - 08-05-2023

If you don't have any luck, I have a regular supply of original wheel braces and other Austin Seven tools available.

RE: Wheel nut size - k8207418 - 12-05-2023

Bought this item and it doesn’t fit 
It measures about 18mm and the wheel nuts measure about 16mm?

RE: Wheel nut size - Reckless Rat - 12-05-2023

That's because it's for an Austin A30/35 and not an Austin 7.

This is what the real A7 wheelbrace looks like:

[Image: OIP.IP3dOxhTITFQKylJt-SgsQHaFj?pid=ImgDet&rs=1]

RE: Wheel nut size - Tony Griffiths - 12-05-2023

The thread pitch might well be 3/8" BSF (British Standard Fine) but the size of the hexagon nut on an A30/A35 is larger than that on an A7. As John posted earlier, across the flats of the Austin 7 wheel nut is 19/32" - which is 0.59375 inches or 15.08125 mm. The best advice? Find and use a genuine A7 wheel brace - and check the nuts regularly.

RE: Wheel nut size - Andy Bennett - 12-05-2023

Reckers
I don't think that's an Austin 7 brace, perhaps a Big 7, but are often offered on ebay as Austin 7 and I fear might be too large to fit?
The 7 brace is simpler, it does 't have the wooden 'sleeve' in the centre hand hold area and the shape is even, rather than offset.

Andy