Austinsevenfriends
Brake cable fraying - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Brake cable fraying (/showthread.php?tid=836)

Brake cable fraying - morrisminor - 18-02-2018

Hi
What is available to stop the end of the brake cable from fraying ?
Thanks everyone

RE: Brake cable fraying - Peter Clayton - 18-02-2018

(18-02-2018, 08:38 PM)morrisminor Wrote: Hi
Thanks everyone

Several options ,  whipp with copper wire,  crimp with copper tube/ hydraulic brake pipe.  or possibly shrink sleeving.

RE: Brake cable fraying - Steve Jones - 18-02-2018

Doesn't happen very often but when it does, I've used shrink sleeve successfully.

Steve

RE: Brake cable fraying - Tony Press - 18-02-2018

Thanks everyone

The forked end and the ball socket end fitted on the cable ?

Cheers, Tony.

RE: Brake cable fraying - squeak - 19-02-2018

(18-02-2018, 10:51 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
Thanks everyone

Cheers, Tony.
The cables now sold in the UK are adjustable at the forked end Tony, with the cable end exiting through an escape hole and secured by a pinch bolt. A dob of solder at the fraying end can save pricked fingers.
Never store your spare coiled up brake cables under the passenger seat, ask me how I know this !!   cheers  Russell

RE: Brake cable fraying - Andy Bennett - 19-02-2018

Having had problems with an old cable fraying back into the pinch bolt, making adjustment almost impossible and I assumed making the cable dangerous to assume it was pinching, I soldered the end of the new one, which also had about a foot of extra length anyway and all seems good and was v easy to do (on a new cable anyway). I was tempted to touch it with MIG but the solder is neater I think and there is no strength required. 
Andy B

RE: Brake cable fraying - Dave Wortley - 19-02-2018

Black nylon cable tie works ok.

RE: Brake cable fraying - Geoff Halstead - 19-02-2018

(19-02-2018, 12:32 AM)squeak Wrote:
(18-02-2018, 10:51 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
Thanks everyone

Cheers, Tony.
The cables now sold in the UK are adjustable at the forked end Tony, with the cable end exiting through an escape hole and secured by a pinch bolt. A dob of solder at the fraying end can save pricked fingers.
Never store your spare coiled up brake cables under the passenger seat, ask me how I know this !!   cheers  Russell
Be a devil Russell, Dont keep is in suspense.

Geoff - Norhing to add.

RE: Brake cable fraying - squeak - 19-02-2018

Geoff, i'm sure your imagination can paint a sufficiently lurid picture. To give it something to work on, lets say the cable welds itself to the terminals and I  instantly stop a fire with my bare hands.  My NEW front cable  MAY still be OK as a rear, I must look now you have made me think.  cheers  Russell