The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
How to remove window winder handle. - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: How to remove window winder handle. (/showthread.php?tid=794)

Pages: 1 2

How to remove window winder handle. - Austinsixandahalf - 06-02-2018

1930 Mulliner Box saloon with suicide doors.
Sorry to ask the answer to what I feel sure is a simple question. How do you remove the winder handle? Do you carefully prise it off, and therefore is there a spring clip either on the handle or the spindle. Thank you.

RE: How to remove window winder handle. - Ruairidh Dunford - 06-02-2018

Can you photograph the type of handle you have please.

RE: How to remove window winder handle. - Austinsixandahalf - 06-02-2018

(06-02-2018, 09:57 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Can you photograph the type of handle you have please.

Certainly can.

Is that clear enoughRuairidh?

Hopefully better pic. of handle:

RE: How to remove window winder handle. - Robert Leigh - 06-02-2018

(06-02-2018, 09:49 AM)Austinsixandahalf Wrote: 1930 Mulliner Box saloon with suicide doors.
Sorry to ask the answer to what I feel sure is a simple question. How do you remove the winder handle? Do you carefully prise it off, and therefore is there a spring clip either on the handle or the spindle. Thank you.

Having seen your recent pictures I have to say that I do not recognise the handle, but You may find a small catch on the back which needs moving along the axis of the handle by pushing with a suitable implement such as a screwdriver, to actuate a locating collar which holds the handle on the spindle.

Robert Leigh

(06-02-2018, 10:49 AM)Robert Leigh Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 09:49 AM)Austinsixandahalf Wrote: 1930 Mulliner Box saloon with suicide doors.

Having seen your recent pictures I have to say that I do not recognise the handle, but You may find a small catch on the back which needs moving along the axis of the handle by pushing with a suitable implement such as a screwdriver, to actuate a locating collar which holds the handle on the spindle.

Robert Leigh

Thanks Robert. I am familiar with 60’s classics, where there is a handle, with a separate spring collar, and a pin into the winder shank - but this is completely different. Will investigate further!

RE: How to remove window winder handle. - AustinWood - 06-02-2018

These look the same as the Austin bodied RK saloons.
There is a catch on the back of the handle. If I remember correctly it has to be slid away from the handle towards the knob on the end then it should just pull off.
On my car I spent hours trying to get the one off the passenger side door. Eventually I took the door panel off to discover that it had been weld to the shaft!

RE: How to remove window winder handle. - Steve Jones - 06-02-2018

These are Hobson Perfect window handles fitted to late 20's - early 30's saloons. To release, you need to pull against a catch located to their rear. See photos of the underside and my scrap box tool for releasing them.

.jpg   Hobson Perfect 1.jpg (Size: 106.48 KB / Downloads: 386)

.jpg   Hobson Perfect 2.jpg (Size: 93.76 KB / Downloads: 381)

Steve

RE: How to remove window winder handle. - Ruairidh Dunford - 06-02-2018

I agree - Hobson Perfect are a standard fitment and they are removed as illustrated by Steve.

RE: How to remove window winder handle. - Reckless Rat - 06-02-2018

I have a pair of Hobson Perfect handles ion my RP saloon. For info the knob on the end of the lever should be free to rotate but may have seized through accumulation of dirt and/or corrosion over the years. Always a good thing in my view to have your knob in proper working order...

(06-02-2018, 11:46 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: These are Hobson Perfect window handles fitted to late 20's - early 30's saloons. To release, you need to pull against a catch located to their rear. See photos of the underside and my scrap box tool for releasing them.

Steve

Thank you both. Made a tool to fit, and they came off a treat! It’s what lurks behind that’s more worrying, the winder mechanism (driver side) will go down, but not up. Ran out of garage time, but thinking it could be the quadrant thats kna, sorry worn. Amazed to find they had pozidrive screws in 1930.....