The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
What ever tickles your fancy - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What ever tickles your fancy (/showthread.php?tid=7727)

Pages: 1 2

What ever tickles your fancy - Tony Griffiths - 12-07-2022

From Facebook. I'm lost for words...

RE: What ever tickles your fancy - Alan - 12-07-2022

I’m trying hard to think of a reason why you’d do that. Especially as they are more expensive than blockleys or longstones.

RE: What ever tickles your fancy - Steve kay - 12-07-2022

Is that would -be trials special behind it in the shed, or the makings of a semi dragoid?

RE: What ever tickles your fancy - Ray White - 12-07-2022

Are they radials?

RE: What ever tickles your fancy - Tony Griffiths - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 11:04 AM)Ray White Wrote: Are they radials?

They look like a Pirelli: https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/motorcycle/catalogue/size/90_90r19?structure=default

RE: What ever tickles your fancy - Mick Hobday - 12-07-2022

Motorcycle tyres? Are they legal, or safe, on cars?
The tyres on the green wheels appear to be directional, and fitted to the wrong side of the car.

RE: What ever tickles your fancy - Jeff Taylor - 12-07-2022

What hasn't been mentioned so far is that the guy with the Ruby lives in New Zealand.

(12-07-2022, 02:52 PM)Mick Hobday Wrote: Motorcycle tyres?  Are they legal, or safe, on cars?
The tyres on the green wheels appear to be directional, and fitted to the wrong side of the car.

I can't find any legislation that prohibits the use of motorcycle tyres on cars - and it has been common practice for many decades. Tyres carry load limits and so, presumably, if within those limits on a car, will be OK. The once common Avon sidecar tyre was heavily used - but some people (one I know is a relatively high-mileage user) prefer not the "Longstone" type, but the handling of the Avon SM "Safety Mileage" tyre intended for sole motorcycles. This tyre, being intended for motorcycle use, has a rounded profile and hence a smaller contact patch on the road when upright. Might this lighten the steering and offer more feel?

RE: What ever tickles your fancy - Alan - 12-07-2022

“Legal” does not equate to “good idea”. Cornering loads for bikes are completely different to cars. The result is bike tyres have a lot less lateral rigidity. This allows considerably more tyre deflection and can lead to exposed wheel rims or even the tyre detaching from the wheel. Views differ on how important this is on a road car of modest performance but there have been a number of racing accidents caused by this, including a friend at loton hill climb a few years back. Luckily, blockley and longstones have solved this problem.

(12-07-2022, 06:59 PM)Alan Wrote: “Legal” does not equate to “good idea”. Cornering loads for bikes are completely different to cars. The result is bike tyres have a lot less lateral rigidity. This allows considerably more tyre deflection and can lead to exposed wheel rims or even the tyre detaching from the wheel. Views differ on how important this is on a road car of modest performance but there have been a number of racing accidents caused by this, including a friend at loton hill climb a few years back. Luckily,  blockley and longstones have solved this problem.

I agree. Sidecar tyres, however, are fine. My car did a lot of hard, competitive use on Avons and never gave a moment's trouble. In addition, the days of eeking out that the last layer of canvas are long gone (and some of us can remember them).