The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale (/showthread.php?tid=7192)

Pages: 1 2

Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Tony Griffiths - 17-02-2022

https://www.automotiverestorations.com/1931-austin-7-ulster LJ 4831 Chassis: 142438

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Ian Dunford - 17-02-2022

It's remarkable how much better they look with full touring wings intact.

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Tony Griffiths - 17-02-2022

(17-02-2022, 05:47 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: It's remarkable how much better they look with full touring wings intact.

My thoughts exactly. With cycle wings - to me - they always look incomplete and start to resemble a 'special'.

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Erich - 17-02-2022

I have been corresponding with the shop about this car. The owner claims to have complete documentation but has not provided much. He has indicated it ran in the 1931 Brighton Speed Trials, but those had been curtailed after about 1926 and it wasn't until later they were moved to a different venue in Brighton. So a lot of vague bits. Very few photos provided and engine looks untouched for decades.

Erich in Mukilteo

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Charles P - 17-02-2022

Erich
The ad does say 1932 Brighton Speed Trials, which is possible.

Charles

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Erich - 17-02-2022

Charles, they changed it then. It initially said the 1931 Brighton Speed Trials and I pointed out that was impossible since there were no Brighton Speed Trials in 1931. There is some question on the originality of the chassis but the vendor knows very little about the car or the model and the owner has not been very forthcoming regarding paperwork. I've asked all the usual questions and have only gotten a few photographs.

Erich in Mukilteo

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Charles P - 18-02-2022

(17-02-2022, 11:10 PM)Erich Wrote: Charles, they changed it then. It initially said the 1931 Brighton Speed Trials and I pointed out that was impossible since there were no Brighton Speed Trials in 1931. There is some question on the originality of the chassis but the vendor knows very little about the car or the model and the owner has not been very forthcoming regarding paperwork. I've asked all the usual questions and have only gotten a few photographs.

Erich in Mukilteo

At least they're listening. 
It's sad that the photos on their website show no details of interest. Not a great way to sell cars

C

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Erich - 18-02-2022

They sent me a few detail photos after I asked. But they are rather limited and no wider shots. I was particularly interested in the torque tube mounting, the engine, particularly the head, the rolled beading around the cockpit, the front of the tunnel.  Most of the questions were to determine the authenticity and how much is correct/original. There appears to be some odd covering over the entire cockpit beading, the engine and g/b are a bit tired looking. So the exterior is clean but other areas, including the swiss cheese of a firewall are in need of a lot of work.

Interesting that the photo of the car in the Lake District with hand tinted colours was one reason I decided to spray mine(no. 125) in those same colours. I had seen that photo somewhere a couple of years ago.

The asking price does seem a bit elevated.

Erich in Mukilteo

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Ian Dunford - 18-02-2022

The Australian Austin Seven Club badge on the radiator may lead to a way of finding out more about this mysterious vehicle.

RE: Ulster emerges - in the USA and for sale - Erich - 18-02-2022

Ian, it was apparently owned and possibly raced in Austria by an owner in the 1960's. It then went to Japan and was owned by a surgeon who did "some" restoration work. It was bought by the fellow here in the US, but I don't know when...possibly in the '90's.

Erich in Mukilteo