The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
seized spark plugs RP - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: seized spark plugs RP (/showthread.php?tid=4798)

Pages: 1 2

seized spark plugs RP - chapelfarmer - 14-08-2020

The (low comp) head on my RP always features a little puddle around the plugs - I cannot stop this however many new water inlets and gaskets I try. It doesn't normally bother me (the water boils off quickly) but recent coronavirus inaction has resulted in the plugs gluing themselves in with - presumably - rust. Only number 4 will shift. I've tried releasing oil but nothing works. I have a good-fitting box spanner and a longish (12") bar but they are stuck solid. Any suggestions?  
Thanks
John

RE: seized spark plugs RP - John Mason - 14-08-2020

Hi John, Have you tried taking them out whilst hot. Take you car for a run to warm the engine up then try removing the plugs whilst still hot. Also rubbing around them with a wire brush may remove some of what is making them tight. If all this fails making a small puddle of diesel fuel around each plug in the same place you usually get the water and leave it over night to soak through. That may release them.

John Mason.

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Ivor Hawkins - 14-08-2020

The water maybe travelling up one of the head studs, or even running along the drip rail under the bonnet.

John Mason’s suggestions are spot on though, that should should shift them, you can even try tightening the plugs a little before backing them off, that often helps.

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Mike Costigan - 14-08-2020

Or a longer bar on the box spanner ...

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Martin Prior - 14-08-2020

The benefit of hindsight, but it sounds as though they must have been over-tightened in the first place. I only ever give my plugs a light "nip" with a standard spanner once they've reached the limit of finger-tightness.

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Steve Jones - 14-08-2020

If you've ever tried to remove an exhaust manifold lambda sensor plug that's been fitted/tightened when it's cold but the manifold is hot you'll have experienced a similar problem. Try removing the plugs with the engine hot.

Steve

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Pearls not a Singer - 14-08-2020

I was always taught the correct torque is a comfortable 1 finger pull on a 12" bar

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Hedd_Jones - 15-08-2020

longer bar. Itll come undone. I always put some graphite mixed into a paste with some steam oil on the threads.

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Charles P - 15-08-2020

(14-08-2020, 10:52 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: If you've ever tried to remove an exhaust manifold lambda sensor plug that's been fitted/tightened when it's cold but the manifold is hot you'll have experienced a similar problem. Try removing the plugs with the engine hot.

Steve

I don't recall that item ever being on the factory parts list?

c

RE: seized spark plugs RP - Albert S - 15-08-2020

Generally assemble with a touch of NeverSieze as insurance. I’ve recently brought an Induction Coil Heater, great piece of kit, presently disassembling a prewar Ford engine that’s spent thirty odd years exposed to the elements.. plugs literally jumped out.

John..
If you’re anywhere about the Worcestershire area, happy to drop along with said tool.