The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Building a Special Body - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Building a Special Body (/showthread.php?tid=332)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Building a Special Body - Steve Bryant - 13-12-2019

One learns by doing, making mistakes and rectifying them, looking at others efforts and asking questions.

Just do the best you can with everything so that you feel satisfied.

Ian, it IS a great job you've done. Thanks for sharing.
Stephen

RE: Building a Special Body - Ian Williams - 13-01-2020

I have almost finished fitting the skin, all rivet holes are drilled and it is currently secured with Cleco skin pegs, starting to think I should call it the porcupine! Next job is to make the windscreen and ensure i don't need any more bracketry inside the scuttle, once that is done I can rivet the skin permanently in place, make the sills, valances and bonnet sides.

RE: Building a Special Body - Duncan Grimmond - 13-01-2020

It's all looking rather good. Very impressive indeed.

At the risk of "granny and egg-sucking", don't forget the zinc chromate paste on your rivets...

RE: Building a Special Body - Hentzant - 13-01-2020

I am not familiar with the use of zinc chromate paste ,but I assume it’s to stop corrosion in the rivet

RE: Building a Special Body - Duncan Grimmond - 13-01-2020

Yes, it's designed to prevent galvanic action between aluminium and steel.

RE: Building a Special Body - jansens - 15-01-2020

Looking great Ian. I should mention Ian's paintwork is exceptional. I know a lot of effort went into getting the right level of gloss or flatting on the different parts and it really helps make the car look exceptional. It's another of those little details that gives a more professional finish to things.

Simon

RE: Building a Special Body - Ian Williams - 24-01-2020

Windscreen taking shape, unfortunately I ran out of silver solder so that stopped play for the day!

.jpg   DSC06692.JPG (Size: 244.23 KB / Downloads: 539)

RE: Building a Special Body - Ian Williams - 26-01-2020

.jpg   DSC06694.JPG (Size: 220.82 KB / Downloads: 463)
.jpg   DSC06696.JPG (Size: 266.76 KB / Downloads: 463)

After managing to steal some silver solder from my mate and local myth Joss, who is reputably building a rather nice remote gear change from an old steering column....but more of that later!! I was able to complete my windscreens, so now unless I can come up with more excuses it is probably time for me to rivet the skin to the floor pan.

RE: Building a Special Body - Duncan Grimmond - 27-01-2020

I rather like those screen frames. Crack on....

RE: Building a Special Body - Tony Betts - 27-01-2020

hi ian,

love the flyscreens.

ive been looking for a long wile at making some different ones for myself. as the brooklands screens get a bit common nowadays.

my idea was to shorten some damaged chummy top rails and ends i have.

tony