The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Cheap C/B crank - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Cheap C/B crank (/showthread.php?tid=238)

Pages: 1 2

Cheap C/B crank - Tom Coates - 14-09-2017

There is some A7 stuff cominig up at the HV auction next week including this collection of crankshafts.

http://www.hvauctions.com/Automobilia_Details.php?pid=10811&automobilia=10811_01.JPG

It looks like a new counter balanced crank for not much money, although I can't see how the centre weight comes off for fitting. Am I missing something?

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Zetomagneto - 14-09-2017

(14-09-2017, 11:12 AM)Tom Coates Wrote: There is some A7 stuff cominig up at the HV auction next week including this collection of crankshafts.

http://www.hvauctions.com/Automobilia_Details.php?pid=10811&automobilia=10811_01.JPG

It looks like a new counter balanced crank for not much money, although I can't see how the centre weight comes off for fitting. Am I missing something?

Can't see how you would get this in the crankcase, counterweights are normally bolted on Possibly made in error, misread drawing perhaps.Not sure that you could do further Machining if already nitrided

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Steve Jones - 14-09-2017

As I understand it, you get these C/B cranks into the crankcase by enlarging the opening in the rear of the case such that the crank will go through. With the Hadley C/B cranks, I recall you get a template and instructions showing what it is you have to do and how to reinstate things once the crank is in.

Steve

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Zetomagneto - 14-09-2017

(14-09-2017, 12:36 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: As I understand it, you get these C/B cranks into the crankcase by enlarging the opening in the rear of the case such that the crank will go through. With the Hadley C/B cranks, I recall you get a template and instructions showing what it is you have to do and how to reinstate things once the crank is in.

Steve

The Hadley cranks have detachable weights.I have the fitting instructions, you do not make the rear bearing hole bigger, you relieve it in 4 places with a file or similar.

[attachment=728 Wrote:Zetomagneto pid='1596' dateline='1505389520']
(14-09-2017, 12:36 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: As I understand it, you get these C/B cranks into the crankcase by enlarging the opening in the rear of the case such that the crank will go through. With the Hadley C/B cranks, I recall you get a template and instructions showing what it is you have to do and how to reinstate things once the crank is in.

Steve

The Hadley cranks have detachable weights.I have the fitting instructions, you do not make the rear bearing hole bigger, you relieve it in 4 places with a file or similar.

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Stuart Giles - 14-09-2017

That's a really interesting item. If those B/E journals are 1 1/2" diameter (they look at least that big from the photograph perspective against the standard cranks behind) then those crank webs don't look like they'd go through the standard rear main bearing hole even with the counterweights removed and the crank given a dynamic balance in the un-counterweighted state.

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Tony Betts - 14-09-2017

hi tom,

you should know by now, just because the estimate is low ( come and buy me). doesn`t meen thats what it will sell for. im sure it will go into several hundreds. even though you dont know its true condition. and there are NO returns in auctions.

this type of crank does NOT have removeable counterwheights. were the hadley DOES.

if you check the other lots, there is a lot of engine parts. the crankcase is in one of those lots. with the rear end bored out to take the crank.

( ITS A BIG HOLE ).

i was talking to a couple of good austin 7 lads yesterday, they are interested in some parts in the auction.

the advise i give to you, is the same i gave to them.

do as many checks as you can on the item you are interested in, so like the crank. take a MIC with you. even a template of a crank to check it actually fits. so you are as happy as can be before you bid.

it doesn`t garantee you get a useable item, but it will limit mistakes.

as i say there are NO returns at auctions, you have to be sure in your own mind before you buy, it is what you think it is.

as they say, buyer beware.

please dont think im putting these parts down in any way, i dont know were or who they came from.

i do alot of auctions, and will be at this one. doing my own checks. working out what i can pay, to what it may cost me to put things right.

the first thing i thought when the list went up was, why was the engine not finished, or why was it stripped. ???

good luck, and will see you there. tony

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Steve Jones - 14-09-2017

Can't argue with that Mr. Magman. However, I'm sure I remember someone (who posts on here sometimes) removing rather more metal than that template would dictate so as to get his Hadley crank into his crankcase for whatever reason. Perhaps he only found the template after he'd got the crank in - or maybe I dreamt it Huh

Steve

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Tony Betts - 14-09-2017

check lot 13 for crankcase.

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Tom Coates - 15-09-2017

(14-09-2017, 04:05 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: check lot 13 for crankcase.
Tony,

Thanks that makes sense.

I wasn't planning to bid on it even at that price, as it's a bit exotic for my needs.

It will be interesting to see what it goes for though.

RE: Cheap C/B crank - Bob Culver - 15-09-2017

Are punters allowed half an hour in private with a crack test kit?

It is a pity the way so many parts are ruined for immediate use by rust and bruising,