The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Speedy at Edmonds Auction (/showthread.php?tid=1907)

Pages: 1 2 3

Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Zetomagneto - 20-10-2018

Just wondering if this found a new home today and at what price.
I understand it was not a factory built car, and not a replica either, nevertheless it looked lovely,I 
would have liked but have too many other projects and cars.
I definitely would have bought the one at HVA Auctions but the price was so talked up here
that I didn't bother to go and was surprised when it went for £12000

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Chris Garner - 20-10-2018

(20-10-2018, 09:20 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Just wondering if this found a new home today and at what price.
I understand it was not a factory built car, and not a replica either, nevertheless it looked lovely,I 
I definitely would have bought the one at HVA Auctions but the price was so talked up here

Z,
The car has a new home. It is a Type 75, not a Speedy and thus a factory car. There is no way you can compare the example sold at HVA with this one.
Chris

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Zetomagneto - 20-10-2018

(20-10-2018, 09:30 PM)JChris Garner Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:20 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Just wondering if this found a new home today and at what price.

Z,
The car has a new home. It is a Type 75, not a Speedy and thus a factory car. There is no way you can compare the example sold at HVA with this one.
Chris

Hi Chris, How do they differ? This one was described as being built from a factory supplied body,
that does not make it a factory car.It is on the Speedy register but not as a factory built car
I was not making a comparison with the HVA Car, that needed a total rebuild

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - JonE - 20-10-2018

linky linky
http://richardedmondsauctions.com/catalogue-new/?lot=2142

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Erich - 21-10-2018

Zeto, I'm the new care taker for the Type 75. The Edmonds auction had some errors. The car is, in fact, one of 17 Type 75s built. Then according to what I've learned, the works made a marketing move. The cars didn't sell well and so they changed the name to Speedy. They also changed a couple of other things, such as the column and wheel, and the wiring. Then the already manufactured bodies went to dealers to assemble. I don't know if any Speedies were built at the works. The Harry Ferguson car that ran in the 1934 Le Mans, would be a Type 75, I think.

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Charles P - 21-10-2018

(21-10-2018, 08:06 AM)Erich Wrote: Zeto, I'm the new care taker for the Type 75. The Edmonds auction had some errors. The car is, in fact, one of 17 Type 75s built. Then according to what I've learned, the works made a marketing move. The cars didn't sell well and so they changed the name to Speedy. They also changed a couple of other things, such as the column and wheel, and the wiring. Then the already manufactured bodies went to dealers to assemble. I don't know if any Speedies were built at the works. The Harry Ferguson car that ran in the 1934 Le Mans, would be a Type 75, I think.

Congratulations Erich

Charles

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Chris KC - 21-10-2018

Oooh, that looks nice!

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Zetomagneto - 21-10-2018

(21-10-2018, 08:06 AM)Erich Wrote: Zeto, I'm the new care taker for the Type 75. The Edmonds auction had some errors. The car is, in fact, one of 17 Type 75s built. Then according to what I've learned, the works made a marketing move. The cars didn't sell well and so they changed the name to Speedy. They also changed a couple of other things, such as the column and wheel, and the wiring. Then the already manufactured bodies went to dealers to assemble. I don't know if any Speedies were built at the works. The Harry Ferguson car that ran in the 1934 Le Mans, would be a Type 75, I think.

Well done Erich, a lovely and unusual car.

I am assuming you will be importing this to the USA, It occurs to me that it would be a shame if the registration number gets parted from the car. I think there is a procedure you can go through to retain the number if and when the car returns to these shores.Obviously that would have to be done before the car leaves the UK.There are probably others on the forum who can give you advice if needed
Best Wishes Gene

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - JonE - 21-10-2018

contratulations, Erich! It sits well.

does it have a car number? I've always wondered what that earliest one listed was.
It's on a Monmouthshire plate originally registered end of 1933.

RE: Speedy at Edmonds Auction - Chris Garner - 21-10-2018

I am not an expert on these models and there are people more qualified to comment than I. 
However I understand that the Type 75 differed from the Speedy in that the 75 was fitted with a Bluemels steering wheel but in mid '34 this was replaced by a sprung " Ashby " wheel. This is when the name change to Speedy came about, an action no doubt taken by Austin's to better market the car, sales having been slow. Steering column length was reduced in the Speedy as a consequence of the wheel change and the loss of ignition and gas levers, being replaced by a Ruby style large boss with a self cancelling indicator lever.
The Edmonds car, a Type 75, is a very early example and would have been built by the works
The motoring public never warmed to the Speedy and Austin's, faced a large quantity of both bodies and pressure fed engines, offering bodies to their agents to build up their own models aa well as giving Nippy customers the option to have a pressure fed engine fitted.

JonE
The car is registered Jan. '34, the Type 75 being introduced that month.