The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... (/showthread.php?tid=1292)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ruairidh Dunford - 27-02-2019

Good news Ashley, there's much more in there to find... I set up the GE Archive on the back of a dirth of empirical sources to restore one with some semblance of historical accuracy. I soon discovered that there were many variations on design and build techniques so attempting to definitively describe techniques/features etc. was going to prove nigh on impossible. My approach was to gather and post as much as possible in pictorial form, then let individuals decide which route they would like to follow. As registrar I am contacted by a lot by GE owners asking if their car is original, my answer is not always met with a smile "I have no idea, look at the archive and decide yourself".

My own car is a mash up of all the things I liked in the pictures and cars I have seen over the years - I am really enjoying seeing the processes involved in creating it but will admit to being terrified about damaging it. My cars are enjoyed to the full and I normally shake off any damage - visions of my daughters dropping their bikes into the fabric have haunted me for some time however!

In a few weeks it will run and I am really, really, looking forward to that. As a child I coveted the Cup now owned by John Davies, it was Tom Abernethy's car then, later owned by Stella Wilson - the only Seven my sister would ride in voluntarily (she has very high standards).

My car was bought way back in 1970, possibly by my mother (they had so many Sevens back then it is difficult to know who bought what) it was the red chassis in the very bottom shed for almost all of my life to date, now it is the red car and my mum and dad will be here when it arrives back in Glasgow.

No more updates, from me, until that happens.

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - AllAlloyCup - 28-02-2019

Hi Ruairidh,

I’ve just fabricated the bracket that links the two
headlamps on my Cup, as per your photo of the
Radiator set up in the Fred Dash Cup, but have just
noticed a second cross bracket at the bottom of the radiator.

Was that a factory fitment? Or a later addition do you think?
Perhaps Tom has one on his USA car?

Regards
Bill G

.jpeg   49974E86-49D1-4162-8956-9D96AC47498B.jpeg (Size: 178.68 KB / Downloads: 325)

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ruairidh Dunford - 28-02-2019

I have no idea Bill - take a look at all the evidence and make your own mind up.

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - JohnD - 28-02-2019

(28-02-2019, 11:14 AM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: Hi Ruairidh,

I’ve just fabricated the bracket that links the two
headlamps on my Cup, as per your photo of the
Radiator set up in the Fred Dash Cup, but have just
noticed a second cross bracket at the bottom of the radiator.

Was that a factory fitment? Or a later addition do you think?
Perhaps Tom has one on his USA car?

Regards
Bill G

Bill i have this bracket on my car, i will try and photo for you. It is just a bit of flat bar with two 90deg ends and bolted in place.

(27-02-2019, 10:31 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:  My cars are enjoyed to the full and I normally shake off any damage - visions of my daughters dropping their bikes into the fabric have haunted me for some time however!

I know your fear all to well, i have often thought about building a box for it to sit in as we previously discussed. In fairness they are pretty robust, Jims little fabric saloon is a good testament to this the miles and use they can sustain.

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Greig Smith - 28-02-2019

What cylinder head is that in Bill's post #142 above ??

Haven't seen one like that before

Aye
Greig

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - AllAlloyCup - 28-02-2019

MHi John and Ruairidh,

If it’s on two cars, inc one built by Tom I reckon that’s a factory
fitment so will follow suit as it’s an easy part to make and fit.

A cross brace between the cow horns can only
help make the radiator shell etc more rigid, which must be a good thing.

Regards

Bill G

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Scarlet O'Hara - 28-02-2019

That looks like a Whatmough head to me?

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ruairidh Dunford - 28-02-2019

Whatmough Hewitt is correct - fabulous head. I have one on the Pearl.

(28-02-2019, 01:44 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: What cylinder head is that in Bill's post #142 above ??

Haven't seen one like that before

Aye
Greig

Here is mine Greig - before it was repaired.  If you ever see one, buy it.  I have found it to be the very best head out of all the ones I have.

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Timothy P - 28-02-2019

There's one on ebay at the moment, looks like it may need a brave soul to get it back to usable order though.
Click the photo for the auction...
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]