The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... (/showthread.php?tid=1169)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Ruairidh Dunford - 24-07-2018

As reported - the Accuspark gear sets I had, have been sent to two Forum engineers for inspection and comment.

This will be done once they have had time to do so.

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Nigel was in Brittany - 24-07-2018

I received the following today from another Accuspark user:

I have not had courtesy of a reply from Accuspark M.D. This morning we decided to tackle the distributor end of the Dynamotor-and just as well.
Surprisingly we found wear on the NEW worm gear.When we got it off to replace with the original from the old dynamo we were surprised that the new gear is shorter than the old one.More significantly the new worm gear is too small in diameter.We believe It is consequently not meshing at correct depth which is why we suspect the gear is wearing.Perhaps at very least Accuspark should acknowledge this error and send out free worm gears that are correct

This difference is noted in my photos comparing the Accuspark gear with an original one, in this thread Nigel.

For ease, see below Nigel:

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=1169&page=7

(17-06-2018, 08:05 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Okay - round three, here we go, ding-ding!

A few of you may benefit from a few blood pressure pills before reading the latest update, deep breath and here we go, bad news first...

The gear on the distributor end of the Dynamator is faulty, most probably because it has not been hardened correctly and the form is slightly different from original.

Good news, it is easily replaced with an original and this appears to run much quieter and smoothly.

Three examples for comparison:

File slid off the Austin gear but cut into Dynamator gear easily.

Many thank to Roly, Glyn and Robert for your updates, technical support and time in allerting us to this issue.

Spread to word - change both gears for original.

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - jonblob33 - 25-07-2018

Hi, I’ve just got my engine back in the car after having the timing gears replaced. Unfortunately another problem appeared. I replaced both gears on the  dynamater with my original Austin gears. This resulted in lots of backlash in the dynamo drive. Swapped the gears back to my dynamo & found almost no backlash. Had to machine about 8 thou off the dynamo housing to get correct mesh. It appears the armature on the new unit is slightly out of centre. When the unit arrived from B.B. classics the connection block was towards the fan & radiator but it was easy to turn the end plate 180 deg. Done about 100 miles so far, everything appears as it should be, the original fitting took less mileage to destroy the timing gears. I wonder what their answer to this problem will be?

Kevin.

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Nigel was in Brittany - 25-07-2018

You will be lucky to get any reply from Accuspark Jon , they couldn't care less, they have got your money, hard luck, that's why they have net assets of £269710.

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Ruairidh Dunford - 25-07-2018

When fittng new dynamos to engines it is quite common to find a difference in this area, I usually have to pack up the housing with gaskets or find another, if it has to go down the way. Good idea to blue the tops of the teeth to make sure they are not bottoming - this usually shows up as a witness mark, again, quite common if not checked and not always obvious if only checking the backlash.

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Alastair - 25-07-2018

I had the same problem with the mesh of the drive gear on my Dynamator and Ruairidh gave me the same advice, which cured the problem. I wondered whether the armature was off-centre but didn't check.
I should add, in fairness to Accuspark, they have given me very good after-sales service, sending me a replacement 6v unit after initially sending me a 12 volt one, and then replacing it again when the first replacement wouldn't regulate and kept putting out full power. I know its tempting fate but its now working fine, as is the electronic distributor...

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Nigel was in Brittany - 25-07-2018

Good news there Alastair, you must have found the Customer Services department, no one else has.

RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - Ruairidh Dunford - 25-07-2018

I am also happy with the dealings I have had with them.