The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Removing ethanol from petrol - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Removing ethanol from petrol (/showthread.php?tid=6357)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - Mike Costigan - 09-07-2021

I think the biggest concern over E10 fuel is not how well or otherwise the engine runs, but what damage it is slowly doing to rubber and alloy components in the fuel system. The problem is going to be proving, or otherwise, that the ethanol content is the culprit and not some other factor, like old age. 

There's no doubt that modern fuel doesn't keep fresh as long as it used to, and that is being blamed, probably incorrectly, on the ethanol, which will also give rise to running problems on little-used cars (and mowers, chain saws, etc). I have encountered more fuel issues in the last five years than I have in the previous fifty, but have no knowledge or means of identifying the root cause.

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - Pearls not a Singer - 09-07-2021

As the link below, Esso are still saying that their 99 octane fuel is ethanol free. It still has to be badged with an E5 sticker but is ethanol free in most areas.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - Dave Mann - 09-07-2021

I tried the test with a cup full of E10 which showed only 5% ethanol. According to the Austin 10 club mazak is particularly susceptible to attack with solder and tinned steel also prone to attack. Reckless's experiences are interesting. One university carried out some tests on prepared samples and after 11 weeks the petrol had evaporated being stored in unsealed container!

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - John Mason - 09-07-2021

I have no leaks in my petrol tank or fuel lines but find my petrol evaporates away quite quickly when the car is stored in the garage particularly when Its warm.I think it’s mainly the ethanol content that evaporates off. The garage stinks of it and I have to leave it vented (window left open.) for some time now I try to only put as much fuel in it for the journey leaving the tank more or less dry by the time I return home. The tank has been cleaned inside of sediments. On reading some of the things on this thread I will continue with this practice to hopefully subdue the effects of ethanol. My concern now is will I suffer from a rusty tank leaving it empty. I always carry a gallon of fuel in a green plastic can just in case I miss calculate and run out before I arrive home.

John Mason.

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - Duncan Grimmond - 09-07-2021

My experience with ethanol fuel is mainly the problems it has caused with "blown foam" floats in Bing carburettors. They are designed for petrol but absorb alcohol and with it an amount of water. This turns them into sinks as I found when I checked a pair after about 5 years of use as I was having problems with flooding carbs. On putting them into a jar of petrol they sank to the bottom. I checked the weights and they were both 13.8 grammes, the new ones should weigh 11 grammes. Both had absorbed enough water to render them useless.
This, together with the erosion of the inner walls of flexible fuel lines convinces me that I would prefer to avoid using fuel with alcohol content. I have heard anecdotal evidence of the damage to zamac alloy and brass/solder components and would prefer not to have to deal with flooding carbs and replacing floats at £30.00 (plus vat & postage) the pair every few years.

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - Ruairidh Dunford - 10-07-2021

Has anyone experienced, first-hand, problems in their standard set up Austin Seven they can wholly attribute to ethanol in the fuel?

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - John Mason - 10-07-2021

In answer to Ruairidh question. My Ruby runs ok on standard unleaded with 5% ethanol and no other problems. I can live with the evaporation of fuel from the tank. My petrol pump has the new type ethanol resistant diaphragm and all fuel limes are copper. As yet no signs of problems with maztech or soldered parts that come into contact with fuel.

John Mason.

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - JonE - 10-07-2021

floats are easily replaced with (expensive) synthetic replacements from Burlen, once only, presumably.

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - Mike Costigan - 10-07-2021

I recently had the soldered collar on the needle valve of my Zenith FZ become detached - was that as a result of the ethanol attacking the solder? Who knows, but I have never experienced it before.

RE: Removing ethanol from petrol - Alan - 10-07-2021

As has already been pointed out, the ethanol can be removed from petrol by mixing with water and draining off the ethanol/water mixture. I’ve given a bit of thought to what to do with this residue. Best solution is to rebrand it as gin.