The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 717 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 717 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 722 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 722 errorHandler->error_callback

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 3,075
» Latest member: Hotinpheonix
» Forum threads: 7,895
» Forum posts: 95,491

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
What have you done today ...
Forum: Forum chat...
Last Post: Howard Wright
16 minutes ago
» Replies: 5,985
» Views: 1,352,537
1934 Austin 7
Last Post: AustinWood
4 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 66
Engine Value
Last Post: timbigden@icloud.com
11 hours ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 334
Austin Service Journal
Last Post: Tony Press
Yesterday, 11:24 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 240
Big end clearance
Last Post: Dirk73
Yesterday, 07:52 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 137
Running board rubbers
Last Post: Old Dave
Yesterday, 06:35 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 3,993
Indicators flickering on ...
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
Yesterday, 02:44 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 892
The Peak Trials
Last Post: Malcolm Parker
Yesterday, 08:34 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 4,329
Seven events from Septemb...
Last Post: Dean Waller
23-04-2024, 11:46 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 219
Austin Sevens in Films
Last Post: Chris KC
23-04-2024, 05:06 PM
» Replies: 80
» Views: 18,162

Dynamo/ cut out problems
Posted by: tomcotez - 06-06-2021, 09:18 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (3)

Hello all, I’m having trouble getting my (early coil) dynamo to behave. After years of satisfactory service the cut out has become reluctant to cut in and then when it does the charging rate is very erratic. It zoomed up to 15amps and jammed the needle on the ammeter on winter charge, but summer charge seems ok. If I force the cut out to close it will charge so I assume the problem is with the regulation and not the Dynamo itself, although the wire to one of the brushes is loose and just held in by friction which probably isn’t helping. 

I have the Dynamo apart on my bench, it has thrown a bit of solder due to the overcharging but looks serviceable. my inclination is to clean it up, fit new brushes and go over to 2 brush and electronic regulator. Any thoughts on what could caUse the symptoms and what I  should be checking?

Print this item

Charging woes
Posted by: Peter Arnold - 06-06-2021, 05:52 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (6)

Just had the dynamo checked out as the ammeter has only ever shown a discharge when operating the car. We have one of those rare breeds who knows all about old vehicles and he has not yet retired. He found one of the field coil leads was shorting intermittently and fixed that, Checked the operation of the cut-out, cleaned up the comm and the brushes and set the charge rate at about 7.5 amps. After reinstating the dynamo the ammeter still showed a discharge. Reading up notes from various clubs (Cornwall etc) one of the things that could affect charging is the small current from the ignition warning light which I had previously found to be faulty. Installed a new light and fired the old girl up. The warning light stayed on and then when I revved the engine it went brighter then blew. I then installed a spare ammeter in the feed from the battery and the generator is certainly charging. I have checked the wiring and thus far have found nothing amiss. I am running the electrics on 6V negative earth (originally positive earth). Suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, PeterA.

Print this item

Electric Mini Car 1939
Posted by: Tony Griffiths - 05-06-2021, 08:19 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (4)

December 1939. Emergency motoring ideas. With the battery at the front, the resulting understeer must have been rather entertaining.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Clutch Release Bearing Lubrication
Posted by: Jamie - 05-06-2021, 07:24 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (13)

Another silly question from me.

On one of the club websites it advises to dismantle the clutch release bearing on the four speed box, clean it, pack it with grease and then reassemble it. Helpfully, it fails to mention how to get the bearing apart. I have had a look, but I cannot see how to even remove it from the carrier.

Can anyone shed any light or is it a sealed unit?

Regards,

Jamie.

Print this item

Oh! To be young and fit again...
Posted by: Tony Griffiths - 05-06-2021, 04:39 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (16)

The spare engine. Once upon a time - a long time ago - I too could do this.

Print this item

Ruby barke switch spring and clips...
Posted by: Ruairidh Dunford - 05-06-2021, 04:14 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (4)

Does anyone sell the Ruby Brake light switch spring and clips please?

Print this item

Fox House Inn
Posted by: Tony Griffiths - 05-06-2021, 11:09 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (4)

Fox House Inn - Sheffield

Print this item

engine lacquer for block?
Posted by: JonE - 05-06-2021, 10:37 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (8)

I've been using some carplan stuff that is mentioned in the Practical Classics write-up, for refinishing a block.
I just wondered on what others have found effective, or indeed have some found that just cleaning and stove-blacking works for blocks? I've been presuming that as parts of the block are less accessible, it might be less effective (despite personally liking the unpainted finish)

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has successfully lacquered the valve chest inner area. Was thinking that it being lighter in there might help for maintenance generally, But no idea in practice if this is a really stupid idea because of oil circulation, or other.

Print this item

Vacuum wipers
Posted by: Stuart Joseph - 05-06-2021, 10:20 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (2)

Good morning. Could anyone tell me when the vacuum wiper was first fitted to the Austin 7 and what type was it?

Was the Trico (semi circular) vac wiper ever fitted as standard?

Regards, Stuart

Print this item

RN Door cards
Posted by: Stuart Joseph - 04-06-2021, 09:26 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (3)

Good morning. Is there any padding between the plywood door card and the leather/vinyl covering on an RN?

Thanks in anticipation. Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart

Print this item