Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 3,070
» Latest member: RWBJR
» Forum threads: 7,893
» Forum posts: 95,389

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Crown Wheel Question
Forum: Forum chat...
Last Post: Ruairidh Dunford
6 hours ago
» Replies: 17
» Views: 700
Jumping out of 3rd gear
Last Post: Graham Barker
7 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 97
Rear exhaust pipe
Last Post: David Stepney
11 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 70
Compression testing
Last Post: John Mason
Yesterday, 12:25 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 235
Broken Crankshaft
Last Post: Nick Turley
Yesterday, 11:26 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 537
Front hubs
Last Post: Andy Bennett
Yesterday, 11:03 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 554
More bargain lathes
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
Yesterday, 10:21 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 65
Scottish Austin Seven Clu...
Last Post: Ruairidh Dunford
Yesterday, 06:37 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 150
Greetings! New owner from...
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
17-04-2024, 07:51 PM
» Replies: 97
» Views: 3,566
Gas and Ignition levers o...
Last Post: Old Dave
17-04-2024, 06:48 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 208

Fibre washers
Posted by: Hugh Barnes - 25-07-2021, 02:11 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (5)

Does anyone have a good source of (quality) fibre washers? I bought a selection box through Ebay some while back as they were marked as being imperial sizes. However, the range is poor (there are many of the sizes that are simply a thin 'ring' and don't work well for drain plugs etc.) But their worst fault is they are rock hard and I fear don't behave as originals would have done.

Any ideas anyone?

tia

Hugh

Print this item

Ruby Glass Door Trim ????
Posted by: flywheel1935 - 25-07-2021, 01:56 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (15)

Daft question !!! but where can I find the trim that sits between the inner & outer door skin that the glass slides through when you raise and lower it, the old stuff ( that fell off) looks like it was/is bonded to the metal and has a flock style covering.

Print this item

Ruby track rod bush
Posted by: andrew767767 - 25-07-2021, 12:16 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (3)

Hi I need to remove the bronze bushing from the track rod arms.  Is it something I can press out or do I need to go to an engineering works to also press new ones in? Smile

Print this item

Gas lever
Posted by: Gordon Critcher - 25-07-2021, 01:14 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (14)

Can anyone send me a photo of the gas lever under the bonnet That operates "cruse control" Austin 7 which is not on the vehicle so I can make a couple, Please

Print this item

Cast Steel Steering Box (pre Ruby type)
Posted by: Charles P - 24-07-2021, 05:05 PM - Forum: Sales - No Replies

Cast steel steering box. The type fitted in about 1930/31 and desirable for trials cars, where the steering boxes take more abuse. No column but has outer cover (also steel) and the gear. Grubby as hell since its been languishing in the back of the shed for 20+ years in amongst engine bits. £25

Print this item

Stopping distances !!
Posted by: morrisminor - 24-07-2021, 04:05 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (11)

As a Driving Instructor I'm interested to see how quickly my car (34Rp) would stop from 30mph.
The answer was ?  25 1/2 metres.

How does that compare with you guys who have bog standard brakes ?

The current Highway code states the overall stopping distance at 30mph is 23 metres,  so my car didn't do too badly,  but just how out of date is the Highway code with certain things !!

Print this item

Droopy Ruby Window
Posted by: Graham Barker - 24-07-2021, 07:11 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (11)

The front passenger window on my 1937 Ruby gradually slips down while on the road.  The main spring appears not to be broken.  I am not sure of the condition of the small spring in the canister on the handle.  
Is it likely that the main spring has lost some of its tension over the years?
Is it feasible to take another turn on the main spring to increase its force?
Any comments on a possible solution would be appreciated.

Print this item

top help
Posted by: Vancevr - 24-07-2021, 12:38 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (16)

Hi I am going to try and get more answers than last time. I am trying to get the right way to put the top dawn on my 29 chummy. Please dont tell me to look in the manual I have heard that and it is not helpful. Can someone make a video on youtube and post the link on the forum. Or can someone put a step by step on hiw to do it. I would love some help with this. Thanks to those who help.

Print this item

Oval backplate stub axles.
Posted by: Robert Foreman - 23-07-2021, 08:36 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (3)

I'm refurbishing an axle with oval backplate stubs. On removing the old kingpin bushes I noticed that the top and bottom bushes have different outside diameters. The top bush is 11/16" Od and the bottom 41/64".
   Every other axle I have rebuilt both bushes are 11/16". Is this a peculiarity of the oval backplate type?

Print this item

Ruby floor mat
Posted by: Anne Griffiths - 23-07-2021, 11:37 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (10)

Does anyone have good photographs of the original rubber floor mat that covers the transmission tunnel around the handbrake on a Mk1 Ruby?

Print this item