Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 3,070
» Latest member: RWBJR
» Forum threads: 7,893
» Forum posts: 95,414

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Compression testing
Forum: Forum chat...
Last Post: falcott
1 hour ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 301
Crown Wheel Question
Last Post: dickie65
10 hours ago
» Replies: 19
» Views: 797
Stripped thread oilway bl...
Last Post: John Cornforth
10 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 117
Cobham Trial 2024
Last Post: Pearls not a Singer
Yesterday, 05:03 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 115
Indicators flickering on ...
Last Post: John Cornforth
Yesterday, 03:26 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 704
Rear exhaust pipe
Last Post: Old Dave
Yesterday, 02:05 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 261
Jumping out of 3rd gear
Last Post: Graham Barker
18-04-2024, 10:04 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 140
Broken Crankshaft
Last Post: Nick Turley
18-04-2024, 11:26 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 571
Front hubs
Last Post: Andy Bennett
18-04-2024, 11:03 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 572
More bargain lathes
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
18-04-2024, 10:21 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 80

No Go, No spark, Help!
Posted by: JoeRowing - 25-07-2022, 05:07 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (14)

Fitted the new fuel tank to the Ruby today and it was finally time to start her up - but no go. 

Useful info:
It's a ruby which has sat around for a few years but was running in 2018 when it went away.

I have:
Replaced the tank,
Cleaned the fuel lines
Checked & cleaned the fuel pump
Checked & cleaned the carb
Cleaned all the spark plugs, 
Cleaned the points and rotor arm 
Cleaned the king lead contact in the distributor.
Changed the coil for another one.

I have tried the old spark plug against the head trick and no spark. Tomorrow I'll try serious diagnostics but I'm operating on brain cells I last used over 20 years ago so...

What now? What have I missed?

Is it time for new leads & condenser?

Print this item

Gearbox speedo drive.
Posted by: Alan - 25-07-2022, 12:14 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (2)

Can anyone more knowledgeable than I am confirm when the propshaft driven speedo was replaced by the gearbox driven type? Thanks, I know it was around 1927 but a more accurate date would be nice. I

Print this item

Oil Pressure gauge wanted
Posted by: Reckless Rat - 25-07-2022, 12:01 PM - Forum: Wants - Replies (1)

For a friend in France, I'm looking for a 0-10psi or 0-20psi Austin 2" oil pressure gauge (with pipework if possible). 

If you can help, e-mail me on bjl2634@orange.fr

Many thanks
The Reckless One.

Print this item

Local help needed
Posted by: iandecjak - 25-07-2022, 11:10 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (5)

We are in the middle of a strip and build on our 1937 Ruby; in five years this is the first time we have had to do any real work. We have taken out the engine/gearbox and stripped down the head and block and removed the flywheeel. We have ordered lots of new parts but need some machining help before we can begin to put it all back together.

We now need to find someone hopefully local to Bristol who can help with the following:

1. Remove old and rivet on new clutch pads (all parts supplied).
2. Replace all exhaust studs as two failed during strip (can get parts if required).
3. Fit side water repair kit (supplied) and new studs (can supply if required).

At the moment the flywheel is considered serviceable but if that can also be replaced I would maybe look to get a new ring and get it done at the same time.

Any help would be greatfully recieved, as this is the first time working on the Ruby in any depth.

Print this item

Pre-Select gearbox
Posted by: JoeRowing - 24-07-2022, 11:13 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (7)

I was musing on silly ideas - there are some very small pre-select boxes out there, Has anyone fitted one to an A7 special?

Print this item

original GE Brooklands?
Posted by: JonE - 24-07-2022, 08:15 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - No Replies

I noticed a paper advert up for a GE Brooklands for restoration whilst at Moreton, while in David Mawby's 'originals' hanger. In light of the various lookalikes around, is this car important in that the original GE underlying structure is still present to record, or is it just an early one of the copies? Does anyone know it?

Print this item

Brian James Micro-T trailer registered with DVLA
Posted by: Nick Lettington - 22-07-2022, 09:08 PM - Forum: Sales - Replies (1)

The Micro-T has a folding draw bar allowing it to fit easily into a standard garage. It's no longer manufactured due to changes in regulations. 

This one has been registered with the DVLA so very useful if you want to visit the continent.

New wheel bearings, recent tyres, covered to LED lights.

A little tatty but perfectly sound. May benefit from a new winch strap but it works perfectly well. You can have the four holding down straps and the spreader beam for winching an Austin 7 by the axle ends.

The bed is 2.92m plus a 170mm rear overhang (bolt on extension by BJ) making it 3.09 total. There's a 60mm thick beam at the front and the draw bar is 1.24m long. The overall length is 4.39m with the draw bar horizontal, but 3.4m with it folded up for storage and the rear extensions can be removed to reduce both of the above by 170mm if space is tight.

Width 2.1m at the widest, but that reduces slightly if you remove the plastic arches. The bed is 1.65m wide with a central gap 0.8m wide. Any Austin Seven will fit comfortably... I'm told it will also take a Morris 1000.

It weighs 300kg with a maximum load of 1000kg

Open to offers but expecting to get at least £1600

More photos on request from cyt660@hotmail.co.uk 

Mobile 07855 468703

.jpg   Screenshot_20220722-204609_Gallery.jpg (Size: 225.41 KB / Downloads: 252)

.jpg   Screenshot_20220722-204558_Gallery.jpg (Size: 264.27 KB / Downloads: 250)

.jpg   Screenshot_20220722-204726_Gallery.jpg (Size: 258.78 KB / Downloads: 249)

.jpg   Screenshot_20220722-204749_Gallery.jpg (Size: 264.81 KB / Downloads: 249)

Print this item

Tour of Cotswold Hillclimbs
Posted by: Alan - 22-07-2022, 06:22 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (3)

Well, wasn’t that good?

Print this item

Thank you Centenary volunteers!
Posted by: Ivor Hawkins - 22-07-2022, 09:17 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (46)

After a lovely trip to the Centenary event yesterday (though the box struggled with a couple of the hills) I would like to extend a huge thanks to all those volunteers and Marshals, who worked so hard to ensure we knew where to go, where to park and sign in and pick up a great pack of information

Shame I didn’t read it before Rosie and I enjoyed our picnic on the grass outside the Four Shires building watching the cars arriving...we then discovered hundreds enjoying the Centenary picnic by the marquee!

Great event, I’ll be back tomorrow for some more.

Print this item

There in spirit...
Posted by: Duncan Grimmond - 22-07-2022, 08:10 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (8)

As I didn't have an Austin at the time I didn't get a ticket for the centenary celebrations unfortunately. However Adam spotted Mathildeux (without the name decal) and sent me these pics.        

Print this item